By Benjamin Haslem
Belle Beth Cooper at Buffer via fastcompany.com has some interesting facts on social media use.
Here are ten (commentary mine):
1. THE FASTEST GROWING DEMOGRAPHIC ON TWITTER IS THE 55–64 YEAR AGE BRACKET.
No it's not just the kids. So when you're thinking your comms strategy, don't exclude Twitter or other social media channels because your stakeholders are older.
2. 189 MILLION OF FACEBOOK’S USERS ARE "MOBILE ONLY"
It amazes me how many websites aren't geared for smart phones and tablets. I was browsing a high-profile bookstore's website on my iPhone last night and was shocked when it didn't render for mobile. Not to mention they don't have an app. If you're using Facebook to drive traffic to your content, make sure your website renders on mobile, like ours does.
3. YOUTUBE REACHES MORE U.S. ADULTS AGED 18–34 THAN ANY CABLE NETWORK
It's true there are many more videos on YouTube than there are cable or pay TV channels but your comms strategy has to at least consider video, considering the size of the user base.
4. EVERY SECOND TWO NEW MEMBERS JOIN LINKEDIN
For a professional services company like Wells Haslem, talking to other professionals is essential. And remember, by joining LinkedIn Groups relevant to your product and service, you can start conversations or link to content that will drive traffic to your website and/or build your company brand and profile (see #6 below).
5. SOCIAL MEDIA HAS OVERTAKEN P%$N AS THE NO. 1 ACTIVITY ON THE WEB
I couldn't possibly comment.
6. LINKEDIN HAS A LOWER PERCENTAGE OF ACTIVE USERS THAN PINTEREST, GOOGLE+, TWITTER AND FACEBOOK
When someone invites me to connect on LinkedIn or accepts my invitation, I often ask them to meet F2F. It's amazing how many (especially those who contacted me) don't respond. Do people simply connect to boost their connections or are they serious about using LinkedIn as a networking and marketing tool?
7. NINETY-THREE PER CENT OF MARKETERS USE SOCIAL MEDIA FOR BUSINESS
What are the other seven per cent doing?!
8. TWENTY-FIVE PER CENT OF SMARTPHONE OWNERS AGED 18–44 SAY THEY CAN'T RECALL THE LAST TIME THEIR SMARTPHONE WASN'T NEXT TO THEM
A quarter of smartphone users are connected to the web virtually all the time.
9. EVEN THOUGH 62 PER CENT OF MARKETERS BLOG OR PLAN TO BLOG IN 2013, ONLY NINE PER CENT OF US MARKETING COMPANIES EMPLOY A FULL-TIME BLOGGER
Do you need a full-time blogger? Surely your marketing team can find time to post every day or so?
10. A QUARTER OF FACEBOOK USERS DON'T BOTHER WITH PRIVACY SETTINGS
Belle Beth Cooper has some of her insights HERE
1. Is Social Media Stifling Political Debate?